Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful--Day 21

Obviously, I've missed blogging a few thankful days, but that's ok. I've been so much more aware of being thankful lately, just because it's been on my mind. You know, that's what being thankful is--not just a statement you make, but a state of mind.

Today (and everyday), I'm thankful for friends. Two (or actually three) come to mind right off the bat, so I'll tell you a little about them.

Tracy and I have been friends for over 4 years. We went to church together all of our lives, but she's a little bit older than me, so we had never really talked to each other. I'll never forget the Sunday she came up to me when I was pregnant with Kade. I had just realized that I would be making the mistake of my life to go back to work after she was born, but I didn't know what to do. Tracy's daughter is 18 months older than Kade and she had stopped teaching after Rachel was born. My mom knew this and mentioned my dilemma to Tracy. Anyway, Tracy came up to me and just said that she knew what I was going through and she would be happy to answer any questions or encourage me in any way. And she did! She was the first person I called after Michael told me he had just gotten a new job that would let me stay home. I'm pretty sure she was almost as happy for me as I was for myself! We've prayed for each other, vented to each other, encouraged each other, and rejoiced with each other. I am so thankful for her and for her friendship.

Second on my list today are Jimmy and Marcia. Jimmy was my youth pastor from 11th grade to sometime around my college graduation. They have both always given me wise counsel, encouraged me and prayed for me, through some pretty tough times and some awesome times. In 2005 (I think), they felt God's call to start a new church and they have been at The Cave church for 8 years. I was blessed last night to lead praise and worship in music there. Even though it's not my home church, I always feel so welcome.

God friends are an awesome thing and I am so thankful for all of mine--those who were only in my lives for a season and those whose friendship has lasted for years and years. God has used you in my life in many different ways. It reminds me of that old song--I can't remember who sang it--"Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed. Thank you for giving to the Lord; I am so glad you gave."

No comments:

Post a Comment