Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thankful-Day #1

So, I know that many people post something they're thankful for each day in November, as a kind of month-long celebration of Thanksgiving. I think that's awesome, but I'm not always good at planning ahead, so I didn't plan or do anything with my kiddos--yet (give me a break, though; it's just November 1).

I wanted to keep my own personal log of thankfulness, though, so I thought I'd write a quick blog tonight.



Today (and everyday), I am thankful for my parents and the legacy of faith they have given me. Because they helped to fill my heart with the Word of God before I could read or even understand what I was hearing, I am able to recognize His voice when I need to hear it.

Deuteronomy 11:18-19 says, " Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."  My parents did exactly that. They filled my heart and mind with God's Word while we drove in the car, in the mornings as we prayed, through encouraging notes and scriptures they put in my lunchbox, in TV shows and movies we watched, books they read to us and gave us to read, bedtime devotions, and many other ways.

When I was old enough, the choice was mine and I read the Bible on my own, listened to teaching at church, listened to music that lifted God up, went to youth group, surrounded myself with good friends--but only because of the foundation of faith my parents laid.

I am always amazed (though I shouldn't be) when God drops His Word into my spirit. It's easy to recognize God's voice when you know what He sounds like. Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You." It's much more difficult to sin when God's Word is written on your heart. It's harder to dismiss something as ok when you know exactly what God has to say on the matter.

The older I get, and the older my children get, the more I appreciate my parents and pray that I can give my sons the same gift my parents have given me. I love you, mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment