Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One year ago today....

One year ago today, I got up and went to work. I started to set up my brand new classroom. I was exactly 37 weeks pregnant.
I worked in a school with no air conditioning and it was quite possibly in the 90 degree range inside of the school that day. I put up bulletin boards, made copies, got my textbooks, and finalized my maternity leave plans (because I knew Kade would be born sometime in the following weeks). At 2:30, I took one last look around my classroom, locked the door, and went downstairs to attend a faculty meeting. I had my 37 week doctor's appointment at 3:30.
I went to the doctor's appointment. They took my blood pressure. They took it again. They got someone else to take it to make sure that the first two nurses were correct. Then, they sent me to the hospital.
I have never been so scared in my life. I had never, ever, in my life been in the hospital. They said they were just going to monitor my blood pressure for a few hours and make sure I didn't have pre-E, but when they hooked me up to the monitor, they discovered I was having contractions. Big contractions. Fairy close contractions.
They said I would have to stay there all night, at least.
And that was my day, in a nutshell, one year ago.
Nearing much closer than I thought to one of the biggest days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment