Sunday, October 24, 2010

The veil was torn!

Last night, we went to a Chris Tomlin concert and as we were singing, a line of one of my favorite songs caught my attention:

The whole Earth trembled
And the veil was torn


I've sung this song tens of times, at least, but last night those words struck a chord in my heart and I immediately started weeping at the imagery.
If you're not familiar, during Bible times, a veil was hung in the temple that separated the people from the Holy of Holy's--the place where God's presence dwelt. No one except for the high priests were allowed to enter His presence.
In Matthew 27:51, at the exact moment Jesus died, the ground shook and the veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom--symbolizing the end of God's distance from man. Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we could stand before God, forgiven.

It reminds me of a groom who is so in love with His wife, so infatuated by her beauty that he can't wait to finally be face to face with her as his wife. (Sidenote: I wouldn't know about this because I didn't wear a veil at my wedding, but I've seen this at other weddings) As soon as bride and groom are announced as husband and wife, the husband flings back his wife's veil, eager to be face to face with her and to shower her with affection.

We--the Church--are God's bride. He wants to be face to face with us. He tore that temple veil when Jesus died because He was so eager to get to us. He was so excited that the time He had waited for was finally here.

How haughty are we that sometimes, still we hold Him at arms length.
"Yeah, You keep Your presence over there, Lord. I'll call You if I want You."
What is wrong with us that we do this when we could be face to face with the Holy Lord God Almighty Yahweh!?

Don't keep Him at arms length!
Step in to His presence! Meet him face to face!
The veil was torn because God wanted to get to you.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard the details of the temple veil until last Easter. Sad, huh? When most people think of a veil they think of something see through, thin, flimsy. The veil He tore was 4-6 inches thick, 60ft long, 30 ft. wide, and weighed around 4 tons. It took 300 men to carry it. How awesome is the power of God!!!!!

    ReplyDelete