Monday, September 27, 2010

Help or a hug

Kade and I were looking in the bathroom mirror this morning and I pulled my bangs down so that they covered my eyes. (Sidenote: I got bangs about a month ago and Kade is not very fond of them. He's always pushing them out of my face.) I was hoping he would push them out of my face, but he just looked at me.

I said, "Kade, help me!"

He wrapped his arms around my neck, buried his face in my neck, and patted my back.

I said, "Kade, I said 'help me', not 'hug me'".

Immediately, I felt something move inside of me. He may not have helped me the way I meant to help me, but a hug is help. When I'm sad and Michael or Kade give me a hug, it makes a world of difference. When I'm hurting or stressed out, a hug IS help.

Reminds me of God. We're always asking Him for help, and when He doesn't help us the way we wanted Him to, we pout. Sometimes, parents divorce, children die of cancer, wars rage on, people lose jobs, and instead of stopping these things, God just wraps His arms around us. We don't always appreciate it. "That's nice, God, but why couldn't you have done so and so." I can't say why He doesn't stop all of the bad things in the world. I wish I could understand. I realized this morning, though, that when we ask for help, and He just wraps His arms around us and gives us peace, it doesn't mean he's not helping us. Take his help. Rest in His arms.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

No comments:

Post a Comment