Sunday, November 20, 2016

Treasures

Election season--and now post-election season--has been so fun to watch on social media (NOT). The only thing I am thankful for is for managing to stay out of the fray, not because I don't have an opinion, but because at this point in the game, no clever meme or even well-phrased argument is going to persuade someone with an opposite point of view from me to see things my way. It's just not happening, y'all. I've seen Christians arguing with other Christians, Christians being ugly or smart alecky to nonbelievers, and nonbelievers being ugly to Christians.

Which brings me to something I've been kind of holding close for awhile. I've had a tough time growing up the last several years. Yes, I know I'm way, way into adult life and have been married for almost 10 years and have 3 children, but I never felt like a grown up, with a weight of worldly experiences from the school of hard knocks. I never had bad experiences with people, definitely not anything that might leave me bitter. I've always had so many people in my life, from birth, who I felt treasured me and I treasured them as well. I always felt like I grew up in this really safe cocoon. I didn't really feel like a grown up adult.

 I've learned something in the last few years, though. I've kind of been forced out of that safe cocoon. I've realized that as an adult, other adults don't always make you feel treasured. They don't always watch out for your feelings or treat you with kid gloves--not even (and sometimes, especially) Christians. Now, you're probably thinking, "Really? You're just now figuring that out?" and the answer is yes.  I guess I should consider myself blessed that it took me this long. For awhile after I experienced some things that made me feel, let's say, not so treasured, I felt really jaded. I felt like blinders had been torn from my eyes and I didn't like it. Not one bit. I didn't feel so treasured anymore. I felt kind of distrusting toward people in general.

Now the question is, even if this is a common experience for everyone at some point, is it ok? I don't think it is. We are all treasures--to God and to each other--and we should treat each other as such. The apostles spent a large part of the New Testament admonishing the church to live in peace with each other, to love each other, to avoid controversy and arguments, and to take care of each other. Do we do that? Sheesh, we as Christians don't do that to each other, much less to unbelievers. Maybe we would be a much better witness to the world if we did, though.

Starting right now, you have a chance to treat everyone you encounter (face to face or online) as a treasure. We all have different gifts and talents, various callings, and unique perspectives to bring to the table. Each one of us was hand crafted by God. Even if you can't find one good quality in someone, even if every one of their opinions differs from yours, they are a treasure to God.

Ask God to give you His eyes today, so that you can see other people the ways He sees them. Then, ask Him to fill you with His love so that you can treat others as the treasures they are, even when it's hard. This world is our home, for now. Make a difference.



Leah


No comments:

Post a Comment