Sunday, November 20, 2016

Forever

Thanksgiving is coming! We've been trying to make thankfulness the theme of our homeschool days this month. Our verse of the month (sometimes, when I feel really motivated, we do a verse every week, but often, we stretch it out) has been Psalm 107:1--"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."

Kade has been keeping a thankfulness journal and every day, he has to write about something he is thankful for and why. They have been very sweet.


I'm not going to pretend that every day, he says, "Oh yes, mom! I know exactly what I'm thankful for today!" because sometimes, he writhes around in his chair or on the floor, saying, "I don't know what to write!" in a very whiny voice. Sometimes, when he gets really aggravated (or just doesn't want to write), he says, "I don't have anything to be thankful for!" 

Don't we do this as adults? There are days that we think, "I don't have anything to be thankful for! Everything is all wrong. We want to writhe around in the floor or lay in bed with the covers over our heads because truly, it feels like everything is wrong. If we sat down and made a list of all the things we have to be thankful for at one time, I'll bet we'd be really surprised--and feel much more thankful. 

And sometimes, our children are more thankful than we realize--


I love this one! It's so simple, but I'm glad he doesn't take having food for granted.

I'm thankful that even on the days we don't feel thankful, God's love still endures forever. It's the same yesterday, today, and for all of eternity. His love doesn't ebb and flow with the times and seasons. It's certainly not some ooey, gooey feeling he gets by looking at us, our imperfections, our sins, and our ugliness. It's a fierce, protective love that wants to see all of us--because we were all created by Him and for Him--come to Him. It's a love that never gives up.

And that is really something to be thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment