Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Under pressure......

Admittedly, I have a lot to live up to when it comes to parenting. I've been blessed with two wonderful parents who have always taken care of all my needs--physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I'm not worried about the two loving parents part or providing food, clothing, or shelter for my children. I can do that 100% without a doubt.

But how do I raise Godly children?

How did my parents do it? It's always baffled me. Somehow I managed to not do anything totally stupid and to stay relatively close to God during my growing up years. Other people I know whose parents taught them the same things and held them to the same standards have turned out totally different. So, it couldn't be completely on the parent's shoulders, could it? Yet, I want to ensure that my children choose eternity with Jesus. That's a scary responsibility, but even more frightening to think that it could be out of my control.

Was it the music we listened to? Was it devotionals before bed? Was it going to church every time the doors were open? Was it the things that I wasn't allowed to see, do, or hear?
So many questions, but it scares me to death to think that I could somehow "mess up" this "train up a child in the way he should go" thing. I don't just want to contribute an intelligent, responsible, productive member of society. I want to send out another soldier for the army of God. I want my children to want to do right and to be hungry for God and His Word.

I asked Jesus into my heart when I was 3 years old. I still remember it. I knew exactly what I was doing. I knew who Jesus was and what He had done for me. How do I make sure that Kade has that same understanding? I don't expect him to ask Jesus into his heart at 3 years old. I just want to make sure he knows and understands who Jesus is.

This isn't one of those posts where I have a concrete answer at the end. I feel like all I can do is my best, but somehow, that doesn't seem good enough.


All I know is that when I look into these precious little eyes, I want him to have what I have. I want him to feel real joy and real love. Not just the joy and love that the world gives, but the indescribable, immeasurable love and joy of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment