Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How He Loves Us

So, Sunday morning at church, I sang this song. If you were there, you already heard what I'm about to say. If not, you still might say, "Well, duh!" Either way, I think it's worth repeating.

Ahem.

I never fully understood God's love for us until Kade was born. I mean, I knew God loved us a whole lot. I even remember getting a little upset when I was around 6 or 7 and my mom said, "God loves you even more than we do!" On one hand, I thought, "How can someone love me more than my parents?!" and on the other hand, I thought, "Wow! Someone loves me more than my parents!"

But, like I said, I never fully understood God's love until Kade was born. As soon as I saw him for the first time, I knew that I would do anything for him. I wouldn't ever let anyone lay a hand on him. I would lay my life down for his. I know that's how God feels about his son, too.

However, God loved us so much that he sacrified His only son so that we could live. There's not one person on this earth for whom I would sacrifice my only son. Sorry. If the future of the whole human race depended on me sacrificing my son, I wouldn't do it. I would let every single person die. It sounds kind of terrible when you say it out loud, but I don't think one parent would disagree.

God is God, though, and I am not. His love is incomprehensible. It is overwhelming and awesome and far reaching and everlasting.

He gave up what I could not--because He loves me--so that I could have this wonderful life and a life everlasting.

Thank You, Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, LMB! "What wondrous love is this..."

    Being a parent has also helped me to understand God's love and forgiveness for ME on a daily basis.

    Surely, the things I say and do are not always pleasing to Him. I know I let Him down. I know that I find myself struggling with the same ol' issues and challenges. I think to myself, "How can He keep on loving me and forgiving me when I disappoint Him so?" But then, I think about my sons, and how nothing they would say or do could ever keep me from loving them! How much more God loves us (as you so eloquently stated).

    You are such a blessing...I'm so proud of you. :-)

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete