Thursday, December 30, 2010

4 years

Four years ago, at this very moment, I was downstairs in our church basement, getting dressed, checking makeup, and getting pictures taken. I wasn't nervous or jittery. I was strangely calm, which I took as a good sign. A few minutes before two, Libby, our friend and wedding director, came downstairs and said we were going to have to wait for a few minutes because there were so many people there, the ushers were having to put out more chairs. That made me nervous--the thought of all those people!

The moment dad and I reached the top of the stairs, and I saw all the people we loved the most and my wonderful husband-to-be waiting for me at the front, I was overwhelmed. I couldn't believe the moment I had waited so long for was finally here. The ceremony seemed like a dream, and when it was all over, we walked down the aisle as husband and wife, and into our new life--which isn't, as you know, quite as perfect as the wedding itself, but beautiful nonethless.

Last night, I asked Michael what had been his favorite moment in the last four years. He thought for a minute, and then he said, "Kade". I started to get offended, and then I realized that that was my favorite moment, too. Not because I haven't loved every second I've spent with Michael, but because when we had Kade, there was finally this perfect, tangible expression of our love. Proof, you might say. Now, I realize that just because two people have a child, it doesn't necessarily mean that there was love involved. In our case, there was. And is.

God has blessed us so richly with each other, with our son, and with all of the other things and people in our lives. We have walked through fire. We have laughed till we cried. We have cried. We have had prayers answered. We have had dreams come true. Most importantly, we have had each other.


I love you, Michael. Always and forever.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!
    You all are still newlyweds ;-)
    The more kids you have, the more your love grows ;-)

    Blessings,
    Shandee

    www.shandees-journey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete